[GRASS5] 5.3.0 release

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Thu Jul 17 16:25:00 EDT 2003

On Thu, Jul 17, 2003 at 08:13:44PM +0100, Paul Kelly wrote:
> Hello
> I was thinking if the 5.3.x series is going to be identifiably separate
> from the 5.0.x series, we might as well go ahead and remove the internal
> copy of PROJ that is in GRASS and make an external PROJ installation an
> absolute requirement. This was discussed before and I thought it might not
> be a good idea to suddenly introduce the requirement but it would be OK in
> the context of 5.3/5.4. Would make the source code package smaller as
> well.
>
> Some features such as NTv2 grid transformations are only supported in the
> latest PROJ.4.4.7 and not in the private GRASS copy of PROJ.

For me it sounds good. There is no much point in maintaining a partially
outdated PROJ4 in a 5.3/5.4 release.
One thing we should have in mind is if Debian/SuSe/Mandrake/Redhat/...
have a RPM package and, if not, if we could suggest to add it.

> Maybe the GDAL bridge code could be removed as well and r.in.gdal not
> compiled unless GDAL was available at compilation time. Just in general
> this would make the linkage to external libraries cleaner I feel.

Probably yes. The binary releases could include the libgdal as it is
already done now.

> Are there any objections? I might not be able to finish the PROJ part for
> a week or two though if it is going ahead.

Well, I don't expect any 5.3.x release the next days :-)
But maybe a 5.0.3, to stop the repeated NVIZ/tcl84 etc questions.

Markus