[GRASS5] sites (not) in 5.1

Radim Blazek blazek at itc.it
Wed Jun 11 04:00:35 EDT 2003

On Tuesday 10 June 2003 18:21, Paul Kelly wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Jun 2003, Radim Blazek wrote:
> > Yes, 5.1 vector format is bad, maybe it's time to stop 5.1 development,
> > skip 5.2 and start 5.3.
>
> :)

No it wasn't :), or at least not only :). I am realy thinking about that
these days. There are various reasons for that, both technical and political.
I'll send more about it later.

> I was kind of thinking that maybe sites could exist alongside the new
> vector format in 5.1 and 5.2 (so that all the sites modules that don't
> have a 5.1 vector equivalent could still be used), and then perhaps for
> 5.3 sites could become fully integrated into the new vector format.
> Something like that.

I think, that there is still a lot of time to update s.* modules
(if it is sensible). It may take 2 years to finish 5.1 so that
it may be released as 5.2. For those, who want to use 5.1 for their
work already now, we could add s.* modules to cpbin.conf (make binmix).
The only problem is d.what.sites (R_get_location_* changed).

Radim