[GRASS5] r.terraflow not found...

Aleksey Naumov naumov at acsu.buffalo.edu
Thu Jun 12 22:41:56 EDT 2003

Dear Helena and Laura,

Thank you for the great work on r.terraflow! It seems fast and well done. I
checked out version 1.5 and here is some feedback.

Ver. 1.5 compiled fine on my Mandrake 9.1 (GCC 3.2.2), with CVS GRASS, however
I had to do some manual editing. Specifying --with-cxx configure option was
not enough, I got "Compilation error in module: src.contrib/DUKE/r.terraflow
(ignored)".
The problem was with file paths in IOStream/lib/src/*.d files which are set
for a RedHat system. Once I changed redhat-specific paths to their mandrake
equivalents:
	(a) /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-redhat-linux/3.2  =>
		/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i586-mandrake-linux-gnu/3.2.2
	(b) /usr/include/c++/3.2/i386-redhat-linux  =>
		/usr/include/c++/3.2.2/i586-mandrake-linux-gnu
everything compiled ok. I suppose this sort of thing will require more
C++-specific configure checks which probably won't be really needed until
5.1.

The rest of this is mostly about the HTML document page, with some general
questions/suggestions...

1. The "elev" argument is incorrectly documented as "elevin"

2. The HTML page seems confusing to me in the part explaining flooding and
sinks:
	(a) "swatershed" output is described as "output sink-watershed raster", yet
what it really seems to hold is a map of subwatersheds. Using "sink" is
really confusing here, since it most commonly means a point from which there
is no outflow (and this is how sinks are described in the text just above --
as "areas that do not spill out"). Why not call it "watershed" and describe
as a map that holds small subwatersheds?

	(b) BTW, what controls the size of those subwatersheds saved in the
"swatershed" map? (Something similat to "threshold" in r.watershed may be
nice...)

	(c) "Flooding produces a sink-less terrain in which every cell has a
downslope flow path leading outside the terrain ..." -- Does this mean that
all internal no-outlet subbasins (like catchment of a no-outlet lake) are
filled in?

	(d) I used a float DEM and my output flooded (I think it's clearer to call it
sinkless or depressionless) DEM is a CELL. Why not FCELL, for computational
and storage reasons?

I hope I don't come accross as nagging or unappreciative! You've done a great
work, I just thought I'd put in my 0.05c :-)

Thank you,
Aleksey