[GRASS5] 5.1 build problems on Solaris 8 Sparc

cheg01 at attbi.com cheg01 at attbi.com
Mon Mar 3 03:42:56 EST 2003

I cannot compile "/visualization/nviz/src/getCat.c" due to a non-existant
include file "pg.h" that is needed. If I comment out the #include line, I
get many undefined variable errors, etc. I cant find any files by that name
in the source for 5.0.1 or 5.1, or in the postgresql source files.

Before I found this, there were several other build issues. I have fixed up
many of them by direct editing of makefiles because I don't know anything
about how configure and make really work. I hope someone can translate them
into real fixes

Other fixups:
    Had to add "-lresolv" to XEXTRALIBS in Platform.make to support
"inet_aton" in several .c files.

    The variable PQLIB is set equal to "-lpq" in
/include/Make/Platform.make. This does not work wit the way the variable is
used in the Makefiles. I edited "/include/Make/Grass.make" to replace
$(PQLIB) with the absolute path to the library
("/usr/local/pgsql/lib/libpq.a" in my case) in the "VECTLIB=" definition.
That fixed the "-lpq not found" error in many makefiles.

    Solaris did not accept the syntax "@test -e". I replaced it with
"@test -r" in:
/include/Make/Module.make
/db/base/Makefile
/general/manage/cmd/Makefile
/lib/init/init.sh
/scripts/postgisdb

    To get -lsocket and -lresolve in the necessary places, I had to add
$(XEXTRALIBS) to LIBES in the Makefile for:
/display/d.erase
/display/d.vect
/display/d.rast
/display/d.what.vect