[GRASS5] v.in.dwg license problem

H Bowman hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Wed May 14 06:45:17 EDT 2003

> > Noticed that v.in.dwg from GRASS 5.1
> > (http://freegis.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/grass51/vector/v.in.dwg/)
> > uses the proprietory library opendwg.
> > As I believe that it also needs the GRASS libraries which
> > are under GNU GPL, this means that v.in.dwg has a severe license
> > problem.

see also
http://freegis.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/grass/src.nonGPL/

I suppose the worry is that if it is included in the main source
distribution, an over zealous packager might build it into a binary at
some point.

I'd think having it live in CVS (with a note where to look in the
v.in.dxf man page) should be fine- forces the user to compile it
themselves but doesn't hide it. ???

my 2c. (which is worth about US$1c these days..)
Hamish