[GRASS5] v.in.dwg license problem

Radim Blazek blazek at itc.it
Thu May 15 10:41:29 EDT 2003

On Wednesday 14 May 2003 01:33 pm, Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> On Wed, May 14, 2003 at 10:45:17PM +1200, H Bowman wrote:
> > I suppose the worry is that if it is included in the main source
> > distribution, an over zealous packager might build it into a binary at
> > some point.

Surely, over zealous people can make fatal mistakes, but I don't
think it is a good reason to complicate other peoples lifes too much.

> It should be separate from main GRASS core ....

I decided to keep it where it is. I added to source code of v.in.dwg
exception to link it to 'OpenDWG toolkit', as recommended in
http://www.fsf.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#WritingFSWithNFLibs
(thanks for hint Bernhard). Situation is also described in README.
During the compilation 'make' prints this warning:

------------------------------   WARNING  -----------------------------------
v.in.dwg is linked to proprietary library 'OpenDWG toolkit' (www.opendwg.org)
and to GRASS libraries released under GPL. As a consequence, it is not allowed
to distribute binary version of v.in.dwg.
If you realy want to build the binaries for v.in.dwg and loose possibility
to distribute GRASS binary package, type 'yes'<Enter>.

if user doesn't enter 'yes', compilation fails.

I am ready to move v.in.dwg to some other place, in case that majority
of DEVELOPERS contributing to 5.1, i.e. both Markus Neteler and
Paul Kelly, express their wish to do that.
I can also do the same whenever in future.

Radim

PS: I must say, that when I ever asked for help with 5.1, I did not
have in mind this kind of obstructions ....