[GRASS5] v.in.dwg license problem

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Fri May 16 09:19:25 EDT 2003

Bernhard Reiter said:
> On Fri, May 16, 2003 at 01:54:16PM +0200, Radim Blazek wrote:

>> Exactly, that is why I asked other developers if v.in.dwg should be
>> moved.
>
> I would be glad to hear some opinions on this.

I do not in anyway claim to be a developer and so do not claim any say in
this, but I do not understand what the big difficulty would be to put
modules such as v.in.dwg in a special modules / special page (such as
http://grass.itc.it/grass_addons.html). Does this create much more work
for developers ?

Secondly, just to be sure that I understand correctly: noone in the GRASS
team can forbid anyone to use a module such as v.in.dwg in the context of
their work, i.e. in order to treat data that comes from clients using
non-free formats, or ? So, the question is not whether someone can use the
module, but what status this module will have in the distribution of
GRASS. Should it be part of the main distribution, which in the long run
would probably imply a change of license status of the whole GRASS
project, or should it be distributed seperately (either directly from the
GRASS website, or via some other source) ? To take the example of the
Debian distribution, it is the choice between keeping seperate trees such
as "main" and "non-free", or merging everything together.

Do I understand the debate correctly ?

Moritz