[GRASS5] v.in.dwg license problem

Helena Mitasova hmitaso at unity.ncsu.edu
Fri May 16 11:26:31 EDT 2003

Maybe we should keep in mind that 5.1 is experimental and we keep nonGPL
code in experimental GRASS5.0 (see 5.0exp src.nonGPL)
so I don't see any problem with keeping v.in.dwg in GRASS5.1
in src.nonGPL as we have in GRASS5.0exp v.geom and other nonGPL code.
That way everybody can get it but it is not considered core GRASS
(as we have also src.contrib and src.garden).

v.in.dwg is an important program - over the past year
I got more data as dwg than as shape. And Radim is right, you just
cannot
ask the people who are so kind that they give you their (often
proprietary)
dwg data to convert to something else on regular basis although we try
to ask for other formats, but many companies just don't have time to
convert.

On the other hand Bernhard is right that as a long term strategy
v.in.dwg should not be part of the core GRASS5.2 release
and stay in the experimental CVS code until a GPL version
is written or engineers stop using dwg and it is not needed.
I too believe that mixing proprietary code
with free software does not work very well.

With all that was written by Markus and others, Bernhard do you still
see a problem with keeping v.in.dgw in experimental GRASS5.1 in
src.nonGPL?
Or are there any problems having src.nonGPL in GRASS5.1?

Helena