[GRASS5] xwininfo error on Mac OS X

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Tue May 27 05:12:51 EDT 2003

Nik Sands wrote:

> Thanks Glynn - It was only after I read your email and killed X11 and
> ran the "Wish Shell" that I realised it wasn't in fact using X11.  It's
> not always obvious in Mac OS X.
>
> So the obvious follow-up questions are:
>
> 1.  Why isn't GRASS for Mac OS X using the standard unix X11 Tcl/Tk by
> default (I've got X11 installed and running other applications on it)?

The most likely reason is that the MacOSX "wish" comes before the
Unix/X11 version in the path.

You can use the GRASS_WISH environment variable to force the use of a
specific "wish" program, but only if the different versions have
different names (any leading directories are ignored; only the last
component is used). You could force the case by creating a symlink
(e.g. "xwish") for the X11 version.