[GRASS5] problems with v.digit or dbmi?

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Thu Nov 6 07:29:41 EST 2003

Radim,

I am copying you on this as you seem the primary expert. I copy my
notes and error messages below. Essentially, while I managed to create
a closed area, I can't yet get any data associated with it in GRASS
5.7. I can export it to GRASS 5.0.2 and do this without a problem.
Either, I am simply missing some essential concept, this is a bug in
the code, or there is something missing from the version of 5.7 that I
have. After several hours of messing with it, I can't tell which of
these it is.
____________________
C. Michael Barton, Professor
Department of Anthropology
PO Box 872402
Arizona State University
Tempe, AZ  85287-2402
USA

Phone: 480-965-6262
Fax: 480-965-7671

- - - more GRASS 5.7 test notes - - -

Preface:
I tried a lot of things to associate some kind of table with a closed
polygon I have created in GRASS 5.7--including working in v.digit and
experimenting with the v.db  and db. commands. My current goal is to 1)
create a polygon in v.digit, 2) associate with a single category of
information, and 3) output it to a raster file. (For the curious among
you all, I am using this as a mask to create a 'hole' of null values
for a network of barrancos/ravines in a DEM. I am then using
r.fillnulls--still only in 5.0.2--to create a model of the terrain
before the barrancos were eroded. Since I needed to do this anyway, I
thought it would be a good excercise to try out several capabilities of
version 5.7.)

Please note that I am not a DBMS novice, but have developed
applications of at least passable sophistication in x-base (dBase and
FoxPro) and more recently in Filemaker. I have PostgreSQL up and
running and have used it with GRASS on a test basis. However, for most
of my needs, the internal database in the new GRASS 5.7 will serve much
better currently than a PostgreSQL/PostGIS or even ODBC connection
(though one to Filemaker would be nice eventually). So this is why I am
trying to get it to work smoothly. I understand conceptually (or at
least **think** I do) how the new vector format interfaces with various
DBMS, including the internal one--and like it. Also, I am comfortable
with DBF and it will allow me to rather seamlessly transition data from
MapInfo and ArcView--both of which maintain attribute data in dbf
formats.

This background, of course, does not prevent me from completely and
stupidly missing some important point here which may be patently
obvious to everyone else ;-)

11/2/03
*****************************
OK, I exported my area to an ascii file (v.out.ascii) and reimported
it. Ran v.build. Then ran v.digit and created an associated table. It
seems to have an attached database and table now (checked with
v.db.connect.)

It will let me output to a raster file, but nothing in the raster file
(i.e., NO DATA and nothing visible in d.rast). Tried to run v.category
to add something to the category field in the hopes that this might
solve the problem. Did the default using the same input and output
files (i.e., overwrite original). Here is the result.

v.category input=polop_barranc2 output=polop_barranc2 type=area
option=add cat=1 field=1 step=1
WARNING: Vector 'polop_barranc2' already exists and will be overwritten.
0 new centroids placed in output map
DBMI-DBF driver error: (null)
WARNING: Cannot open select cursor: 'select * from
polop_barranc2'ARNING: Cannot copy table
Registering lines:
2 primitives registered
Building areas:   50%100%1 areas built
1 isles built
Attaching islands:  100%
Attaching centroids:   50%100%

Number of nodes     :   2
Number of primitives:   2
Number of points    :   0
Number of lines     :   0
Number of boundaries:   1
Number of centroids :   1
Number of areas     :   1
Number of isles     :   1

Do I have a problem with the version I have in the dbmi drivers or am I
just doing something wrong. I've reread the tutorial sections that seem
appropriate and I can't find the answer there.