[GRASS5] Grass 5 new releases

Jens Oberender grass at troja.net
Mon Nov 10 09:00:01 EST 2003

Hi

On Sun, 9 Nov 2003 13:27:00 -0500 (EST)
Scott W Mitchell <smitch at mac.com> wrote:

> I'm interested in helping too.  I made a binary distribution once > before, and using instructions from Markus, it created that script
> "automatically", so that shouldn't be an issue.  I'll forward you an > email I have from those days in a minute.  In short, there were two > ways:  (1) follow the directions in the > documentation/release_rules.txt under the main source directory, and > (2) Markus has a script that he uses to get through all the steps in > the release_rules... but unless there are new developments, this > script is not completely portable.  On the other hand, it didn't take > TOO much modification to make it work for me on my system, and it > helped make sure I was making binaries the same way as Markus.

Perhaps you can use fink (http://fink.sourceforge.net) to provide complete grass binary packages.
Fink is like the debian package manager (apt-get) and there for very powerfull, as it can check dependencies and download the needed packages too.
Fink already provides 2500 open source packages for MacOSX.
A user would just have to do a

apt-get install grass

And that would download all dependent packates and install them for him.

Just my 2 cents.

Bye,
	Jens Oberender