[GRASS5] Duplicates: some stats

Thierry Laronde tlaronde at polynum.com
Mon Nov 17 09:46:17 EST 2003

Hello Paul,

On Sun, Nov 16, 2003 at 10:36:15PM +0000, Paul Kelly wrote:
> Hello Thierry
>
> On Sun, 16 Nov 2003, Thierry Laronde wrote:
>
> > Here the pass has been made asking for a 95% equality (in other words
> > for files differing in less than 5% of their lines).
>
> See also http://grass.itc.it/pipermail/grass5/2002-March/008642.html and
> http://mpa.itc.it/markus/tmp/grass.cln where the analysis is done at the
> function level which is potentially more useful.

Indeed interesting. I urge others to look at it. As is said/suggested
in the mail, the "clones" research can be done at several distinct
levels.
The one (simple) I conducted may indicate that some separate programs
should be a single one with multiple options, or may indicate the need
for a more "atomic" program to give the feature to be found at the
intersection of several others.

There is a supplementary information of some value: the historical
evolution of the code. The clones (with files as an element) have
dramatically increased in number with time.

And all these numbers give an intuition about the work that has to be
done...
--
Thierry Laronde (Alceste) <tlaronde at polynum.org>