[GRASS5] Leaving

Thierry Laronde tlaronde at polynum.com
Wed Nov 26 16:02:49 EST 2003

On Wed, Nov 26, 2003 at 03:33:59AM +0000, Glynn Clements wrote:

> I don't think that's an accurate analogy. In fact, it's probably the
> exact opposite. Any derivative work is more likely to be 95% GRASS and
> 5% contribution than the other way around.
>
> IMHO, expecting the authors of the 5% to allow their work to be used
> under the GPL is more reasonable than expecting the authors of the 95%
> to allow their work to be used under a proprietary licence.
>
> I'm not concerned with a committed proprietary software developer who
> will either:
>
> a) use GRASS, but give us nothing in return, or
> b) not use GRASS.
>
> Neither possibility provides any benefit to us.

The important word here is: _developer_. As I'm not a total arsehole, I
feel the _necessity_ for me to give back to the developers what they
have offered to me. I use Linux and *BSD, a whole bunch of software
(mainly developer tools) that I'm happy to have so I want to pay back
my debt. My debt to the developers. I have taken and not given a lot
(organisation of the Debian conferences, Howtos, code for GNU GRUB, some
patches here, articles against the patents and that's all).

So the question is: what is the best licence for _developers_. And the
question is still open, and I don't think there is one and only one
answer.

For the libraries: LGPL? Today the most interesting.
BSD? perhaps but needs more thinking. GPL? No.

But now it's coding time. I put this aside until I have something
working.
--
Thierry Laronde (Alceste) <tlaronde at polynum.org>