[GRASS5] GRASS, PROJ and NAD

Paul Kelly paul-grass at stjohnspoint.co.uk
Sat Oct 11 09:16:28 EDT 2003

On Sat, 11 Oct 2003, Markus Neteler wrote:

> I was playing a bit with PROJ and have generated
> a Spearfish location with UTM/NAD83. Reprojection from
> the sample NAD27 works well. Then I have created a
> Spearfish-Lat-Long location and tried to reproject
> data from the sample Spearfish location into.
>
> Here I get the error:
> r.proj in=elevation.dem location=spearfish mapset=PERMANENT
> pj_transform() failed
> cause: failed to load NAD27-83 correction file
> pj_transform() failed
> cause: failed to load NAD27-83 correction file
> pj_transform() failed
> cause: failed to load NAD27-83 correction file
> pj_transform() failed
> cause: failed to load NAD27-83 correction file
> pj_transform() failed
> [...]

That message usually means the point you are trying to re-project falls
outside the region covered by the NAD correction file, but there can be
several other reasons. Did r.proj not print the parameters for each
location first? What are the PROJ_INFO files?

You could experiment with s.proj just projecting one site at a time and
see if the co-ordinates made sense.