[GRASS5] CVS version numbering

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Mon Sep 22 08:36:00 EDT 2003

On Mon, Sep 22, 2003 at 09:48:53AM +0100, Paul Kelly wrote:
> On Sat, 20 Sep 2003, Glynn Clements wrote:
>
> > 5.3 is the development version of 5.0. It will include anything which
> > is added to the 5.0 branch (although such changes will typically go
> > into 5.3 initially, then get merged into the 5.0 branch later), plus
> > some other changes which are too intrusive to go into the 5.3.x
> > releases (e.g. because they break backwards compatibility, or
> > introduce additional dependencies).

To my understanding 5.3.x is the development version for 5.4.x ...
If something is nice there, it might get backported.
CVS also always can contain unstable stuff by definition at times.

> To reduce confusion, I think the version number for the CVS HEAD should
> say
> GRASS 5.3-cvs
> rather than
> GRASS 5.3.0-cvs (September 2003)
> as it is now.

> This ties in with Glynn's last paragraph above where there should be no
> third number in the version, and no date, as the version does not correspond
> to an official release.

It is a matter of routine.
If we use the rules consistantly people will understand.

> If an experimental release is to be made from the CVS HEAD, the
> src/CMD/version file can be temporarily changed to something like the
> second format above, the files tagged, and then changed back again.
>
> Anybody agree?

I believe that the version number in the 5.3.x CVS should
contain "cvs". I know some project where it will contain the
upcoming number adding "-cvs" and believe that this is a good idea.
So as long as the are no 5.3.0 tarballs, the version number can be
5.3.0-cvs. When the tarballs are released, change this to 5.3.1-cvs.
No need for a date, though.

As written above it is not of utter importance as long as we do it
consistantly.

Just my 0.02 (Euro-) cents.

Bernhard