[GRASS5] Re: [GRASSLIST:1363] Re: compiling grass57

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Fri Sep 26 23:29:21 EDT 2003

Markus Neteler wrote:

> I was thinking how to avoid that include/version.h is generated
> all the time which leads to a recompilation of libgis (which leads
> to an overall recompilation when compiling in static mode)...

1. version.h is generated by configure. If you re-run configure, you
probably *should* be re-compiling everything (i.e. "make clean").

2. config.h is also generated by configure, and that should be a far
more significant dependency.

3. version.h contains a data definition (which is bad practice;
headers should only contain declarations) for the variable
VERSION_STRING. AFAICT, this variable is only actually used by NVIZ
(nviz_init.c), which suggests that all other cases get the information
by other means (e.g. set_data.c relies upon src/general/init/Gmakefile
defining various macros via -D switches).