[GRASS5] [bug #2578] (grass) d.rgb can't read file created by importing png map with r.in.gdal on cygwin

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Tue Aug 17 10:38:57 EDT 2004

Request Tracker wrote:

> this bug's URL: http://intevation.de/rt/webrt?serial_num=2578

> Subject: d.rgb can't read file created  by importing png map with r.in.gdal  on cygwin
>
> Platform: WindowsNT/2000/XP
> grass binary for platform: Downloaded precompiled Binaries
>
> d.rgb can't read file created  by importing png map with r.in.gdal  .
>
> r.in.gdal creates the three bands (red, green, blue) from my png file
> with -o option.
>
> d.rast et d.rgb fails to read the files created.

In what way does it "fail"? Does it produce an error message? If so,
what is the message?

> I am using cygwin. I succeed to display files from the speafish57
> samples. I suspect that the file format may be a bad one , maybe with
> byte order swap....I try to create GRASS raster with GDAL but this
> format is not supported.

Have you managed to successfully create GRASS raster maps by any
means?

Note that, under Cygwin, all files within the GRASS database directory
must be accessed in "binary" mode. Ensure that either:

a) the Cygwin "filesystem" on which the database directory resides is
mounted in binary mode, or

b) the  CYGWIN environment variable includes the "binmode" setting.

See the Cygwin documentation for more details.