[GRASS5] Need testers for tcltkgrass update for 5.7

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Wed Aug 18 15:39:05 EDT 2004

Michael Barton wrote:

> This sounds like a plan. I'll go ahead and commit menu.tcl and gui.tcl it as
> is now (Moritz had no problems with it either). I think this kind of
> scripting within GRASS is potentially quite useful. I wonder how many people
> use it in GRASS 5.3? To revive scripting, all commands would have to
> eventually be set up to write to stdout, correct?

Well, the change is essentially to G_parser() and G_gui(), so it would
automatically affect everything which uses those functions.

However, fixing startup bugs/misfeatures (e.g. ensuring that programs
don't write to stdout prior to calling G_parser()) would become that
much more critical. It's already an issue for e.g. --html-description,
but bugs in generating the HTML documentation are less critical than a
bug in the UI.

Also, programs which don't use G_parser() (e.g. r.mapcalc) will
typically need special treatment (e.g. r.mapcalc explicitly traps the
"r.mapcalc help" case, although it doesn't handle any of the others).
Maybe we need a "minimal" alternative to G_parser(), which just traps
--help, --html-description etc, but doesn't do option parsing.