[GRASS5] [bug #2594] (grass) MASK and Mapset conflicts

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Thu Aug 26 15:26:04 EDT 2004

Request Tracker wrote:

> this bug's URL: http://intevation.de/rt/webrt?serial_num=2594

> Subject: MASK and Mapset conflicts

> When I start GRASS and select several other mapsets with g.mapsets and one of
> them already includes a MASK file, then it isn't possible to create another
> MASK file in the current mapset anymore, although the MASK is not in that
> mapset.
>
> ERROR: <MASK> already exists in mapset <norden_p8>
>
> When I deselect the other mapsets, then I am able to create a MASK again.
>
> Can this be solved somehow?

That particular behaviour is part of g.copy and g.rename; you can use
the -o flag to override it.

These programs don't distinguish between the case where the
destination exists in the current mapset and the case where it exists
in some other mapset. You have to use -o if the destination name is in
use in any active mapset.

I believe that this behaviour is intentional, to prevent the user from
inadvertantly "shadowing" an existing map.

If you aren't using g.copy/g.rename directly, but are using some other
program which calls them, tell us which one; we may wish to add the -o
switch.

Note that the raster I/O code only looks for the MASK file in the
current mapset; a MASK file in other mapsets won't be used as a mask.