[GRASS5] [bug #2755] (grass) v.cutter has been superseded by v.overlay

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Mon Dec 6 06:14:19 EST 2004

On Thu, Dec 02, 2004 at 10:36:13PM +0100, Request Tracker wrote:
> this bug's URL: http://intevation.de/rt/webrt?serial_num=2755
>
> In
> http://grass.gdf-hannover.de/twiki/pub/GRASS/GrassToDoList/54to57porting_11-2004.txt
> it says
> v.cutter - replaced by v.overlay
> In former man1/v.cutter.1 there is a very clear explanation of what to
> do to cut something.
>
> In grass57_exp_2004_11_27/vector/v.overlay/description.html
> we are now 1000 miles away from clarity for those who wish to cut
> something.

... 1000 miles away... sigh.

Maybe you forgot to interprete the file name: grass57_exp_2004_11_27
 exp -> experimental.

> Also it says only areas are supported.  No hope thus for clipping maps
> of points, etc. seemingly from the face of the words.

You are kindly invited to improve it (hey, it's open source & free software).

> You know what I would have done (if I knew how to use GRASS);
> For each example on each 5.0 man page that have now gone bye-bye, I

Which man pages are missing? Send a list.

> would show the equivalent way to do the example in GRASS 5.7.

Yes, a wish.

> So add the simplest cutting example to v.overlay's description.html.

Did you see this?
 http://grass.itc.it/grass57/tutorial/vectoroverlay.html

> It seems I have successfully clipped a vector map by region with
> v.in.region output=shiregion
> v.overlay ainput=shichengst binput=shiregion atype=line \
> operator=and output=shichengst1
> of course the attributes have grown etc.

Markus