[GRASS5] [5.7] v.digit

Radim Blazek blazek at itc.it
Mon Feb 9 10:49:11 EST 2004

On Monday 09 February 2004 13:29, Hamish wrote:
> > > 2) settings/symbology (colors):
> > > yellow is very hard to see on the white background.
> > > Change default highlight color to blue?
> > > Make no default color the same?
> >
> > Blues is hard to see on orthophoto (often dark (forest)), cyan?
>
> mmm I see. I was just draping the vectors without a backdrop.
> I can see yellow looking good there.
>
> Cyan would be ok, maybe just a darker yellow is needed?
> I'm not too picky about it, but what's there now is hard too see on a
> white backdrop.

I think that cyan is OK.

> Also I found it hard to track down the red "+" errors on a complicated
> unclosed-area boundary that was also colored red. Making the boundary
> light grey made them show up well.. the bright cyan looks good there too.
>
> I see you get to choose from 256:256:256 so the choices are endless.

If you are sure that you have better color scheme, change it in CVS.
It would be useful to store v.digit color settings in GISRC/mapset/map.

> > > 4) Is it possible to exit without saving?
> > > Nice for beginners, as there is no required input= and output=, and
> > > you don't always remember to make a copy first.
> >
> > No, each change is immediately written to disk, this is vector library
> > feature.
>
> Could it save to a temporary vector file and copy over to the real one
> at the very end? Right now the vector file ends up broken if v.digit is
> killed or crashes during editing.. or is this too much overhead on a huge
> vector? (e.g. I have several 600mb-1gig vector maps)

Temporary vector files are on TODO list but with low priority (for me).
In v.digit however, temporary file would be bad approach.
Currently, if v.digit crashes, only the last change may be lost.
If temporary file is used and v.digit crashes you lose everything.

> > > 5) XFree86 is using ~45% of the local CPU when v.digit is running.
> > > ssh uses about another 45% (tunneled X over ssh). Is it stuck in
> > > some sort of feedback loop? When you click exit, it stops as soon as
> > > "Registering Lines:   nnnnn", seconds before the menu disappears.
> >
> > The loop is used in R_get_location_*(), that means always, when
> > v.digit is waiting for input in XDRIVER.
>
> Is it useful in this situation to put a 20ms sleep towards the end of
> the loop to slow it down, but still too fast for humans to notice?

I remember, that I tried to do that once, however I did not manage
to get it working. Try to do that, hopefully you will be lucky,
the loop is in display/drivers/lib/command.c, row 174, 197, 219

> Were you planning on QGIS becoming the main way to edit vectors for GRASS,
> or just would rather someone else took care of v.digit?

For me, QGIS or something similar is the future, so if anybody needs
v.digit improvements, I leave it for him.

BTW: did you find that centroids (color) are not updated correctly,
the bug is in vector library, I thing that changed cetroids
are not added to the list of updated lines.

Radim