[GRASS5] Re: grass5 digest, Vol 1 #1033 - 6 msgs

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Mon Feb 9 14:44:52 EST 2004

Michael Barton wrote:

> It is great news that you have GRASS 5.3 compiling successfully for
> Cygwin. I have several questions.
>
> 1. In the list of Cygwin components you list has having installed (in
> section of copied message below) are opengl and sunrpc. Are these only
> necessary for compiling Cygwin or are they also needed for the
> binaries? I ask because there is an old version of sunrpc on the
> WinGRASS web page, but the binaries installation instructions ignore it.

Oops; you don't need the "opengl" package for GRASS. The modules which
use OpenGL (NVIZ and r3.showdspf.openGL) use the OpenGL implementation
from XFree86. You need XFree86-bin (which contains the DLLs) to run
those modules; you also need XFree86-prog (which contains the headers)
to compile them.

You need the sunrpc package in order to compile GRASS (it uses the XDR
functions in librpclib.a for reading/writing floating-point maps), but
not to run it (only static libraries are used).

> 2. Can GRASS 5.3 open monitors via the tcltk menu or is it still
> necessary to do this from the command line using d.mon?

I didn't try that; I'll check later.

> 3. If GRASS 5.3 works with tcltk 8.3.4, does that mean that it works
> with the Cygwin version of tcltk or is it still necessary to install a
> separate version?

No, it only works with the xtcltk-8.3.4-CYGWIN.tar.gz package, which
is available from the GRASS website in the same place as the Cygwin
binary package.

In some respects, it would be easier to get tcltkgrass and NVIZ
working with the native Windows Tcl/Tk than with Cygwin's version.

The Togl widget, on which NVIZ is based, natively supports both
Unix/X11 and Windows (at least, the original version does; the GRASS
version might have modifications which break portability).

Also, many of the X11 dependencies in tcltkgrass are somewhat
gratuitous (e.g. use of xwininfo, hard-coded use of "xterm"), and
could be removed without significant loss of functionality.