[GRASS5] [bug #2324] (grass) NVIZ: child process: segmentation violation located

Request Tracker grass-bugs at intevation.de
Mon Feb 16 21:24:07 EST 2004

this bug's URL: http://intevation.de/rt/webrt?serial_num=2324

Subject: NVIZ: child process: segmentation violation located

Platform: GNU/Linux/i386
grass obtained from: CVS
grass binary for platform: Compiled from Sources
GRASS Version: 5.3 CVS and 5.0.3

To whom it may concern:

I have narrowed down the source of the NVIZ segfault error. The error has appeared for me using both 5.0.3 and version 5.3 I picked up from CVS today in hopes this would be resolved.

The error has occured with a message like this, and can be generated even with no data using the command:
nviz -q

child killed: segmentation violation
    while executing
"exec /usr/local/grass53/etc/nviz2.2/NVWISH2.2 -f /usr/local/grass53/etc/nviz2.2/scripts/nviz2.2_script -q -name NVIZ >&@stdout"
    ("eval" body line 1)
    invoked from within
"eval exec $env(GISBASE)/etc/nviz2.2/NVWISH2.2 -f $env(GISBASE)/etc/nviz2.2/scripts/nviz2.2_script $argv -name NVIZ >&@stdout"
    invoked from within
"if {$argv == ""} {
#no arguments
eval exec $env(GISBASE)/etc/nviz2.2/NVWISH2.2 -f $env(GISBASE)/etc/nviz2.2/scripts/nviz2.2_script -name NVIZ >&@stdo..."
    (file "/usr/local/grass53/bin/nviz" line 16)

The offending segmentation fault happens on this line of etc/nviz2.2/scripts/nviz2.2_script:
    togl $BASE.canvas -rgba true -double true -depth true

Which appears to be creating some sort of gl object as a canvas element.

I thought that the problem might be in my OpenGL implementation. I am using Debian (testing). I got the error when using the xlibmesa3-glu and xlibmesa4-gl packages. I switched to the mesag3 package (the development package is mesag-dev) and NVIZ now works correctly.

The short and skinny is:

NVIZ works correctly (this bug does not exist) with Mesa-3.

NVIZ does not work with xlibmesa.

And a slightly related question: is there a new monitor implementation in the works for 5.7 with scrollbars, zoom buttons, etc? Is building one in tcl/tk appropriate? It appears that NVIZ uses a similar mechanism ...