[GRASS5] r.in.gdal

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Tue Jan 27 04:29:49 EST 2004

On Mon, Jan 26, 2004 at 04:22:15PM -0600, Tom Parker wrote:
> Hallelujah, it works.
>
> proj-4.4.7
> gdal-1.1.9
> grass-5.3-cvs
>
> seem to play nicely together.
>
> I'm guessing the problem with the CVS version of gdal is related to a
> problem I asked the gdal-dev list about last week. My C++ file readers that
> depend on gdal/ogr/proj were reporting these errors in the console window.
>
> ERROR 1: failed to load NAD27-83 correction file
> ERROR 1: failed to load NAD27-83 correction file
> ERROR 1: Reprojection failed, err = -38, further errors will be suppressed
> on the transform object.
>
> SO, I think that since I have been setting up my grass builds with this
> configure command.
>
> configure --without-postgres --without-odbc --without-fftw --with-gdal --wit
> h-proj
>
> It is failing to load the NAD27-83 correction file in r.in.gdal as well. My
> initial attempts were just to add printf statements into main.c in the
> r.in.gdal folder but that was less than helpful.
>
> I will study the debugging hints now to see if I can be more helpful in the
> future.

Did you install the NAD27-83 correction files?
See
http://www.remotesensing.org/proj/faq.html
"How do I build/configure PROJ.4 to support datum shifting.
After downloading and unpacking the PROJ.4 source, also download and unpack the set of datum shift files. This would be a file like ftp://ftp.remotesensing.org/pub/proj/proj-nad27-1.1.tar.gz. This file should be unpacked within the proj/nad directory. Then proceed with the configuration, build and install. This will ensure that the build system knows about the grid shift files, and applies the ascii to binary preprocessing step.

How do I debug problems with NAD27/NAD83 datum shifting?
 The PROJ_DEBUG environment can be defined (any value) to force extra output from the PROJ.4 library to stderr...
"

Once I had the same problem and installation of proj-nad27-1.1.tar.gz
helped together with recompilation of PROJ4.

Markus