[GRASS5] GRASS Fedoara package

Silke Reimer Silke.Reimer at intevation.de
Fri Jul 9 11:19:39 EDT 2004

Hallo!

On Thu, Jul 08, 2004 at 05:03:45PM +0200, Silke Reimer wrote:
> proj at xserve.flids.com
> Bcc:
> Subject: Fedora package for grass and a few libraries
>
> Hallo!
>
> I created a grass 5.7 package for fedora version 2 and a few library
> packages (gdal, proj and shapelib) which are normally necessary when
> you want use free GIS software ;-)
>
> You can download the Spec-files with the patches as well as srpms
> and rpms from
> 	http://ftp.intevation.de/users/silke/packages/fedora/
> They are located in SPECS, SOURCES, RPMS and SRPMS respectivly.
>
> Please feel free to test the packages and make comments on them.

I thought about how to maintain ressources to build a GRASS rpm
package for different GNU/Linux distribution. So far we have a
grass.spec for Mandrake into the CVS made by Markus. I announced a
specfile for Fedora 2 yesterday on this list. This specfile is based
on the same source as Markus grass.spec (basically coming from the
originally FreeGIS CD grass5.0.spec), but is slightly different.
This covers mainly

- package dependencies (I can assume for example, that gdal and proj
  are existent as packages, while this doesn't hold true for Mandrake)
- a special readline patch which is not necessary for Mandrake but
  for Fedora 2 (see [1]).

Therefor I suggest to add a rpm directory in the GRASS CVS
containing two directories: SPECS with different specfiles and
SOURCES containing all distributions specific patches. Thus people
who prepare packages for special distributions can easily maintain
there package.

Any comments?

Greetings,

	Silke