[GRASS5] create rpm spec subdirectory for 5.7?

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Mon Jul 12 09:26:40 EDT 2004

On Mon, Jul 12, 2004 at 01:09:08PM +0200, Radim Blazek wrote:
> On Monday 12 July 2004 12:55, Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> > If there are no further suggestions,
> > I would put in the work in the next days
> > to create the following structures in the grass51 CVS module:
> > 	rpm/
> > 		specs/
> > 		patches/
> > and move
> > 	grass.spec
> > 	rpm/specs/grass.mandrake.spec
> >
> > Radim, Markus: Is that okay for you?
> >
> > Best,
> > 	Bernhard
>
> Why patches? Why cannot it be fixed directly in original source files?

Fixing the original sources files (in grass or upstream) is always prefered.
Silke did that where possible, see bug 2525.
However there are a couple of reasons where this cannot be done fast
and then I consider using a platform dependend patch
until grass or upstream fixed the problem reasonable.

	Could be highly pattform dependend,
		e.g.  The readline patch for fedora2, see bug 2526
		it is not directly accepted in GRASS,
		because of more problems. The patch solves this
		issue reliably for fedora2, though and I do not see
		a reason why we should stop people from using those
		build information.

	Upstream delay,
		becaused upstream might need more time to accept it
		or again the problem depends on one platform.
		The shapelib ord gdal patch could be such an example.