[GRASS5] Re: [bug #2451] DXF module for GRASS 5.7

Radim Blazek blazek at itc.it
Fri Jun 4 05:59:32 EDT 2004

On Thursday 03 June 2004 22:37, Michael Barton wrote:
> Radim,
>
> Your points are well taken. I don't know off hand if it is better to
> get DXF into OGR via DIME or go another route (e.g., there are a few
> other translate projects that come up on SourceForge when you look for
> dxf).

DXF/DWG is too complex and changing too often for current size of comunity
which could potentialy create free DXF/DWG library.

> On the other hand, I don't think it is false advertising if we say
> GRASS supports DXF ver. #-#, or something like that. QCAD uses some
> version of DXF natively and it would be nice to be able to import QCAD
> maps. Other CAD programs probably don't keep up with the most current
> AutoCAD standard for DXF. And can't AutoCAD folks export down-version
> if need be?

They can but only some 2 latest versions if I recall well.
I have written here (the last paragraph)
http://grass.itc.it/pipermail/grass5/2003-May/007878.html
why it is not good solution.

> It's just that DXF is a (perhaps THE) widely used standard (even if it
> is not quite 'standard') for CAD data exchange--and for exchange among
> GIS programs. GRASS as it is has exceptionally good abilities to read
> other formats and DXF is one of the few holes in this.

No, it can read latest DWG/DXF via v.in.dwg (OpenDWG) which can be used for any
work by any organization. Unfortunately it cannot be distributed with GRASS
and users have to compile it themselves.

Radim