[GRASS5] Fwd: uploading your binaries

Scott Mitchell smitch at mac.com
Tue Mar 2 18:06:49 EST 2004

I'm trying to figure out how (if?) we could easily provide the unix
version of TclTk to Mac OS X users if they don't have a packaging
system installed.  I know, there is also the native Aqua Tcl/Tk they
can install, but that doesn't work with a GRASS binary distribution
that was compiled for the UNIX model of TclTk.  Many users will have
TclTk installed as part of some packaging system like fink, or could
add it to their installation relatively easily, but the idea here is
that relative newcomers to Unix software on the Mac platform might be
able to install a grass binary distribution with a minimum of
"overhead" requirements.  We've handled GDAL by including a shared
library in $GISBASE/lib, Paul has mentioned that this could be done
with libproj too, now I'm wondering about Tcl/Tk.

I figured that the simplest way might be to compile it and then provide
a tarball of the installed files with instructions on how to expand it
on to the user's system, with a recommendation that it go under
/usr/local - this keeps things pretty simple.

I imagine this would work, but it got me thinking.... TclTk only uses
the bin, include, lib, and man directories for installation - if it was
expanded into the GISBASE directory, would that work?  The idea would
be to ensure GRASS/tcltkgrass/NVIZ would work on the system with
minimum change to the rest of the user's system.  And then we also make
sure that the version of tcl/tk matches what the nviz compilation is
expecting, and don't have to give instructions re: changing
LD_LIBRARY_PATH, etc...

Or is that like playing with a hornet's nest?   I vaguely recall
discussion of problems with including tcl headers in the distribution,
but don't remember the context and don't really trust the memory.

Thanks,
Scott

Begin forwarded message:

------
Scott W. Mitchell		Scott_Mitchell at carleton.ca
Department of Geography and Environmental Studies
Carleton University, B349 Loeb Building (Office A209)
1125 Colonel By Drive, Ottawa, ON Canada K1S 5B6
+1-613-520-2600 ext 2695 Fax: 1-613-520-4301