[GRASS5] can't get 5.7 to get past ./configure

Paul Kelly paul-grass at stjohnspoint.co.uk
Sun Mar 7 06:44:21 EST 2004

Hello

On Sun, 7 Mar 2004, Jeff D. Hamann wrote:

> GRASS is now configured for:  i386-unknown-freebsd4.9
>
>  Source directory:            /usr/home/hamannj/grass51
>  Build directory:             /usr/home/hamannj/grass51
>  Installation directory:      /usr/local/grass57
>  Startup script in directory: ${exec_prefix}/bin
>  C compiler:                  gcc -g -O2  -pthread -pthread

I don't like the look of that -pthread but equally I don't understand its
implications so it might be all right. I think there is now some
FreeBSD-specific code in the configure script that is putting it in.

[...]
> when I attempt to run make, I get,
>
> $ make
> "./include/Make/Grass.make", line 235: Missing dependency operator
> "./include/Make/Grass.make", line 308: Need an operator
> "Makefile", line 51: Missing dependency operator
> "Makefile", line 53: Need an operator
> make: fatal errors encountered -- cannot continue
> $

Well obvious first place to look is what does line 235 in
include/Make/Grass.make say? I think it should be
ifeq ($(GRASS_LIBRARY_TYPE),stlib)
but it could have been changed somewhere maybe if you're using an unusual
shell and it expanded the variable $(GRASS_LIBRARY_TYPE) when it shouldn't
have or something. If that line is intact, check near the top of the file
to see what GRASS_LIBRARY_TYPE has been set to. Other than that I can't
think of anything else to try for now.

Paul