[GRASS5] Does GRASS have Java?

Andrea Antonello moovida at katamail.com
Mon Mar 8 02:22:58 EST 2004

Hy,
we are currently developing JGrass, a java interface for Grass to get rid of
the Xserver and all the portability issues, and to be able to exploit some
newer software tecnologies. The display-system is there but needs some
stabilization. The architecture is already choosen.
JGrass gives the possibility to easily implement new modules in java.
JGrass will be officially presented in Bangkok.

Feel free to visit the (not so updated :( ) project-site and to contact the
involved people. We'll be glad to introduce you to the project.
Visit:
http://bedu.ing.unitn.it/~daniel/fantastiso/login/     under JGrass.

Cheers,
Andrea

PS: The JNI-Java wrapper is there. Just search Sorokine's work in the
src.garden directory. I hasn't been updated for a long time and it loads the
whole environment every time you need to make a jni call. JGrass is the way
java-interested developers should now go :)

On Monday 08 March 2004 07:14, prabhath at vesess.com wrote:
> I'm involved in a group project of the Faculty of Information Technology,
> University of Moratuwa, Sri Lanka (Any idea where _that_ is?) based on
> GRASS5.
>
> However, we have to do it in Java, and at the moment we can't locate any
> .java file inside the GRASS source (Panic!!!). We'd heard that there was
> this Java wrapper for GRASS4; could it be that Java support is discontinued
> in GRASS5 or we are having really bad eye-sight?
>
> Any guidance on GRASS+Java is very much appreciated. Please help. Save a
> life.
>
> Prabhath

University of Trento
Via Mesiano, 77 - Trento (ITALY)