[GRASS5] Does GRASS have Java?

Andrea Antonello moovida at katamail.com
Mon Mar 8 10:28:04 EST 2004

> 	Language debate is like relegion debates. Generaly
> it is not creative.

Yup, I subscribe to your thought and I apologize for seeming a bit heavy in
this discussion.
The fact is that someone asked for java stuff (mandatory) and we have java
stuff, and we need people to help in the development of JGrass.
To start using our framework would be the best way to support us.

Lot's of people started GUI's for GRASS, but none survived. We dared once
again, building on past experiences. Now we need developers, like GRASS
needs.

So that's all, no need and intention for relegion debate.

Cheers,
Andrea

> I do like Java, and swing is the best
> "widget set" I ever used. But sad to say, it is "non-free".
> I am trying to promote use of free software in my place,
> and I wont use any non-free softwares. So Java is not a
> choice for me, how better it is.....
>
> I have used several languages and feels python is great.
> Its free, and gives me all advantages of Java. Its portable.
> Now I feel python has become equal or better to java...
> At least very very easy to code.........
>
> If Java was free, and If you offers me a GRASS+Java library,
> I would defenitly try it. But now Java is non-free(Free as in
> freedom), so it is not a choice for me....
>
> Sorry that the great effort taken by you are in noway helpful
> for us. Wondering if you people have did it in python(Or anyother
> free language)!
>
> On Mon, 2004-03-08 at 16:58, Andrea Antonello wrote:
> > If you want to work on java + GRASS... once again, whoever, contact me
> > personally and I'll send you some screenshots and features, so you can
> > see that lots of work has been done and that it's really future-oriented.
> >
> > If you need a portable programming LANGUAGE, java is the choice.
> >
> > Cheers
> > Andrea Antonello

> > > Python maybe a better choice. Python wrapper for libgrass is
> > > alailable at:
> > > ftp://intevation.de/users/bernhard/libgrass5/
> > > I didnt tested it, so noidea on it.
> > > If more peoples are interested in it, porting grass57
> > > library to python can be done. (Right now I dont have
> > > any idea on howto do it....)

University of Trento
Via Mesiano, 77 - Trento (ITALY)

Andrea Antonello