[GRASS5] Re: [GRASSLIST:2864] Re: GRASS 5.3 Cygwin distribution

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Mon Mar 8 15:26:37 EST 2004

Richard Greenwood wrote:

> > > Regarding "d.mon png" I added gd to 5.0.3 but it still did not work. I
> > > also tried it under 5.3 (which supposedly does not require gd) and it
> > > did not work there either.
> > >
> > > Also tried adding fftw as recommended at:
> > > http://freegis.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/grass/documents/release_rules.txt
> > > But failed to get it working either.
> >

> > Can you provide more details regarding what went wrong?
> >
> > I have built both the PNG driver and the programs which require FFTW
> > under Cygwin.
>
> I could not find FFTW as part of the Cygwin binary distribution system,
> so I downloaded, built and installed FFTW 2.1.5, and enabled FFTW in my
> GRASS 5.0.3 configure. The following is the compilation error log. I
> assume all these failed due to FFTW problem.
>
>    GRASS GIS compilation log
>    -------------------------
>    Start of compilation: Sun Mar  7 15:51:03 MST 2004
>    Errors:
>    Compilation error in module: src/imagery/i.fft (ignored)
>    Compilation error in module: src/imagery/i.zc (ignored)
>    Compilation error in module: src/raster/r.surf.fractal (ignored)
>    Compilation error in module: src.contrib/CERL/imagery/i.shape (ignored)
>    End of compilation:   Sun Mar  7 16:00:22 MST 2004
>    DONE generating GRASS GIS binary code

Yep. That is the exact set of programs which use FFTW. Can you provide
the actual error messages?

> Regarding PNG, I installed the current gd and libgd via the Cygwin setup
> program, enabled gd (and png) in my 5.0.3 configure, and received no
> errors. However running GRASS:
>
>    GRASS:~ > d.mon png
>    ERROR: no such monitor 'png'

That's to be expected; it's called "PNG", not "png", e.g.

	d.mon PNG

>    No such monitor as 'png'
>    Problem selecting png. Will try once more
>    No such monitor as 'png'
>
> I recall an earlier email from you in which you said gd was no required
> in 5.3, however I get exactly the same error as above in 5.3.
>
> Nviz question: With what versions of GRASS is it appropriate to use and
> distribute the Cygwin NVWISH2.2 that you provided?

AFAIK, the binary should work with both 5.0.x and 5.3.

> What would be merits of enabling proj?

I'm not sure that there are any direct benefits.

I was under the impression (although I could be wrong) that the idea
was ultimately to remove the copy of PROJ which is currently included
in the GRASS source tree in favour of an external PROJ library once
any issues had been resolved, and the option of using either the
bundled version or an external version was a transitional measure.

> Although I have it installed under Cygwin, GRASS configure fails
> when I try to enable proj.

I believe that you need a fairly recent version of PROJ.

The actual error messages from config.log may be of use to someone.