[GRASS5] Re: grass 5.7 for vector overlays

Paul Kelly paul-grass at stjohnspoint.co.uk
Thu Mar 11 14:40:41 EST 2004

Markus Neteler wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 11, 2004 at 09:23:17AM -0700, Michael Barton wrote:
> > Markus,
> >
> > I'd like to do that, but all the students in the class using GRASS are
> > using it on Windows/Cygwin.
> >
> > GRASS 5.7 has only just now become available for Windows testing. I am
> > hoping that it works well, but haven't had anyone brave enough to test
> > it yet (They are still getting used to the software in general).
>
> If nobody tests it, we'll never know :-)

I don't do a lot of work in 5.7 but I've been running it on Cygwin for
ages and fixed plenty of bugs so it would compile. Not sure what "GRASS
5.7 has only just now become available for Windows testing" means?

> > I am
> > hopeful that this will be the solution in the future. Still, I assume
> > that GRASS 5.3 will become the final, GRASS 5 standard soon.
>
> Well, I have no idea. Seems that some bugs are holding it,
> but they remained untouched the last weeks.

Well the CVS snapshots are available every week and are an excellent
option to get the most reliable up-to-date GRASS 5 version.

> > I don't
> > know how difficult it is to fix v.cutter. If it is not a big chore, it
> > would be nice to remove the bug before 5.3 becomes 5.4 and finalized.
>
> For this a person is needed to do it. Radim usually focuses on 5.7,
> so someone else might do that.
>
> > On the subject of GRASS 5.7, I noticed previously that a lot of raster
> > commands seem missing (especially I/O, r.support, and modeling). Is
> > this simply because they have not yet been updated? Will most raster
> > commands work in 5.7 or do they all need tweaking?

Well rasters in 5.3 and 5.7 are exactly the same aren't they so you can
use the 5.3 commands (make copymix etc.)

Paul