[GRASS5] GRASS releases - some remarks

Jean-Denis Giguere jdenisgiguere at fastmail.fm
Wed Mar 17 11:19:06 EST 2004

Hi,

I'm working on a linux distro called EduLinux. It is developed at
Sherbrooke University mostly for students of all ages and all domains. I
have to package GIS related software for this distro.  I wish to improve
the use of free software in  our departement of geomatic and I think
that integration of GRASS and other GIS related software in an open
source desktop system is a good way.

I would like to know wich version of GRASS should I include. Improve in
5.7 are great and we use a lot vectors in our labs (mostly ArcGis), but
is it enough stable to use it daily ?

I have two weeks for packaging GRASS and related software (postGIS,
mapserver, ...). Advices will be very appreciated.

Thank you,

Jean-Denis Giguère
President of the Sherbrooke University Undergraduate Geomatic Students
Association
Developer for Edulinux