[GRASS5] v.out.ogr question

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Wed Mar 17 12:23:49 EST 2004

On Fri, Mar 12, 2004 at 05:58:40PM +0100, Otto Dassau wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I used the module v.out.ogr in GRASS5.7 to export polygons but missed
> the parameter 'type=area'. The result was a warning:
>
> > WARNING: Requested types: points and lines, but (additionally) areas found.
> >          Check 'type' parameter.
> > 3426 features written
> > WARNING: 3426 features without category written
>

> but the map was also exported with lines instead of areas. I don't
> understand why the module explains a mistake but still exports
> the data. Wouldn't it make more sense to simply stop after warning,
> so the user has to add/modify the missing parameter?

Otto,

I have made a test with a map containing a single area:

v.info ammprv | grep Number
 |   Number of points:       0               Number of areas:      1     |
 |   Number of lines:        0               Number of islands:    1     |
 |   Number of boundaries:   1               Number of faces:      0     |
 |   Number of centroids:    1               Number of kernels:    0     |
 |   Number of dblinks:      1                                           |

GRASS 5.7.-cvs:~/test > v.out.ogr ammprv dsn=ammprv layer=ammprv
WARNING: Requested types: points and lines, but (additionally) areas found.
         Check 'type' parameter.
1 features written
WARNING: 1 features without category written

-> Strange: I would expect 0 features written.

 Markus