[GRASS5] PNG (was releases - some remarks)

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Thu Mar 18 12:44:51 EST 2004

Markus Neteler wrote:

> > Ultimately, include/Make/Grass.make.in should be re-written so that
> > the definition of GISLIB includes $(XDRLIB); it already includes some
> > of its dependencies, but not XDRLIB.
> >
> > OTOH, this approach can result in the executables having unnecessary
> > dependencies when the GRASS libraries are built as static libraries.
> > E.g. GISLIB has $(SOCKLIB) as a dependency, although that is only
> > actually required for the functions in lib/gis/unix_socks.c.
> > Consequently, all programs which use libgis will have a dependency
> > upon $(SOCKLIB), although most of them don't actually need it.
> >
> > It's arguable that $(SOCKLIB) should be moved to the libraries which
> > actually use the G_sock_* functions (i.e. libraster and libdriver).
>
> may I ask you to implement the suggestions? I don't know enough about
> good Makefile programming to do it. Before making it worse, I would
> like to ask you to fix the problem.

I'm not sure that I know enough about 5.7's build system not to make
it worse.

The XDRLIB issue should be simple enough; anything which reads or
writes rasters uses parts of libgis which require the XDR functions
(opencell.c, get_row.c, put_row.c).

One issue is that it's hard to tell if it's correct with Linux, as GNU
libc includes everything which lives in $(SOCKLIB), $(INTLLIB) or
$(XDRLIB) on other platforms (except that $(XDRLIB) also incorporates
zlib, which should probably be a separate variable).