[GRASS5] Re: [GRASSLIST:2990] Re: NViz: command not found

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 20 21:47:15 EST 2004

> > I have ftp'd a complete Cygwin 5.0.3 binary distribution to
> > grass.itc.it/incoming which includes a working Nviz, fftw, and PNG
> > driver. If you could replace the current files with these then I
> > think it will make things easier for new Cygwin users.
>
> Not to disparage your efforts but especially in light of Markus'
> recent e-mail I feel we should not be promoting 5.0.x any more and a
> 5.3 binary distribution would be much more useful and beneficial. I am
> only saying this because I recall you said you have produced such a
> distribution. There really is no point in pushing 5.0 any longer IMHO.

On the other hand, we now have (hopefully/finally) a solid and full
version of the stable version of GRASS for the most demanded (binary)
platform. With that done and out of the way we can now focus on the
future. A 5.3 binary would be great, but for now thanks to Rich and
Glynn for getting this done.

We should remember that most people using Cygwin would never dream of
building anything from source, it's a bit of a foreign concept on the
PC, so Cygwin binaries represent an important public face for GRASS.

I guess my point is we should be promoting this 5.0.3 binary until such
point as we have an equally solid 5.3 binary. As 5.3 is a moving target,
colaboration, like that which got Rich's binary done, isn't as easy.

regards,
Hamish