[GRASS5] QGIS

Radim Blazek blazek at itc.it
Wed Mar 31 03:00:18 EST 2004

On Tuesday 30 March 2004 17:45, Michael Barton wrote:
> This is very slick. Does this mean that you can run QGIS from within a
> GRASS session (GRASS 5.7 I assume??) as a display GUI?

QGIS may be run either within or outside GRASS session.
It is more comfortable within GRASS session, because when you want to
add a new layer, the dialog items are already set to your current
gisdbase/location/mapset so you select just the map, or mapset/map.
( http://mpa.itc.it/radim/qgis/add_vector_dialog1.png )

Data providers are currently available only for vectors,
raster support is based on GDAL (+libgrass).
I would prefer direct access also for rasters in future.

> Also, do you know if this will run under Mac OSX or Cygwin? Or only
> under Linux?

Mac OSX was discussed recently:
http://mrcc.com/qgis/logs/qgis-2004-03-29

It should work on Cygwin, however nobody tried AFAIK.
( http://kde-cygwin.sourceforge.net/qt3/ )

Radim