[GRASS5] OGR

Radim Blazek blazek at itc.it
Fri May 7 05:08:30 EDT 2004

I have submitted OGR support to vector library, it is using also the
work previously done by Piero Cavalieri.

frmt format:
FORMAT: ogr
DSN: <DSN>
LAYER: <DEFANGED_Layer name>

example GML:
FORMAT: ogr
DSN: /gdata/ogr/test2.gml
LAYER: test

example Shapefile:
FORMAT: ogr
DSN: /gdata/suolo/shp
LAYER: uso_suolo

example PostGIS:
FORMAT: ogr
DSN: PG:dbname=pgtest
LAYER: uso_suolo

I have tested only Shapefile, GML and PostGIS. Results are very bad.
For GRASS, random access and stable FID are essential.
Unfortunately GML and PostGIS do not support random access currently
and FID may change for PostGIS if OGC_FID does not exist.

d.vect with Shapefile via OGR takes 50 second and
5 seconds for GRASS native format.

It seems that direct OGR access does not have practical meaning,
however, it is good for 'marketing'.
Please test it in any case, especially with other formats.

I am going to write OGR DB driver.

Radim