[GRASS5] r.colors again

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Fri May 14 02:45:52 EDT 2004

Hamish,

I was messing around with r.colors for 5.7. As it is currently (or at
least as of 4/24 - my current installation) it is pretty close to what
I was suggesting. For what it is worth, the changes I'd recommend are:

1. change the rules=[file] so that it just looks for a color table file
in any user-defined location, not $GISBASE/etc/colors. It should have a
gisprompt: 'file,file,file' in the tcltk header for g.parser to read.
This makes it a built-in version of the redirect command that Helena
mentioned. I'd change the description from 'predefined rules file' to
'user-defined color table' or simply 'color table file'. There would be
no need to find a way to read and parse a list for users to see. They
could simple browse to a location where they wanted to store extra
color tables and see what is there.

2. split out the color=rules from color=[type], and make it a flag.
Currently, color=rules works from the command line but not from the
autogenerated GUI. Unlike the other color=[type] options, it needs to
exec an xterm. Making it a flag rather than a possible color type might
make this easier to solve. The color=[type] option could then be
described as 'predefined GRASS color tables' and the flag as 'create
color table interactively'

Does this sound more easily doable?

Michael
C. Michael Barton, Professor
School of Human Origins, Cultures, & Societies
PO Box 872402
Arizona State University
Tempe, AZ  85287-2402
USA