[GRASS5] [bug #2423] (grass) ps.map raster drawing filesize

Request Tracker grass-bugs at intevation.de
Sun May 23 22:50:17 EDT 2004

this bug's URL: http://intevation.de/rt/webrt?serial_num=2423

Subject: ps.map raster drawing filesize

Platform: GNU/Linux/i386
grass obtained from: Mirror of Trento site
grass binary for platform: Compiled from Sources
GRASS Version: 5.3 cvs may 2004

As it is, when ps.map draws a raster map all NULL cells are drawn with whatever color they were given with r.colors (usually white). This is fine, but results in the same PostScript filesize regardless of the number of NULLs in the map.

I have a 1400x2000 map which is only 3% non-NULL, but the filesize is still 20mb; mostly FFFFFF's. Is it at least possible to replace a line of all NULLs with a y_position++ type PS command, even if raster data must be written in blocks[*]? or shrink the actual PS raster box to the outer bounds of the non-NULL data & reposition?

My data is mostly on the diagonal covering all rows so neither of these solutions would help my situation much, but maybe someone else?

[*] just a guess that it has to be this way

see  grass/src/ps.map/ps.map/cmd/rast_plot.c   ps_write_mask_row()

thanks,
Hamish