[GRASS5] Let's release 5.4 asap

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Mon Oct 4 12:07:56 EDT 2004

Paolo Cavallini wrote:

> Sorry, but I do not see your point (I may be naive): why should I use 5.3
> instead of 5.7?

People may have built scripts or other functionality on top of 5.3,
and re-writing them might involve significant effort. An academic
institution may have prepared courses involving 5.0/5.3; switching to
5.7 would involve re-writing lecture notes, coursework, marking
guidelines, etc, re-training assistants and so on.

In the real world, backwards compatibility matters. A substantial
upheaval every other year is often far more problematic than many free
software developers would like to believe.