[GRASS5] [bug #2649] (grass) compilation error: gcc does not take -KPIC

Paul Kelly paul-grass at stjohnspoint.co.uk
Wed Oct 6 11:05:04 EDT 2004

On Wed, 6 Oct 2004, Request Tracker wrote:

> this bug's URL: http://intevation.de/rt/webrt?serial_num=2649
>
> Subject: compilation error: gcc does not take -KPIC
>
> Platform: Solaris2.X/Sparc
> grass obtained from: CVS
> grass binary for platform: Compiled from Sources
> GRASS Version: 5.7 CVS 10-5-04
>
> I tried to update Grass 5.3 and 5.7 from CVS today after a LONG time, and 5.3 compiled fine, but 5.7 didn't.  Running make, gcc kept spitting out
>
> "gcc: unrecognized option `-KPIC'"
>
> This was never an issue before, and -KPIC isn't a flag when compiling 5.3.  What does it do?  How can I fix this?

-KPIC comes from the compile flags used for shared libraries. They are
used on 5.3 if you pass the --enable-gmake=no option to configure. But
actually if you tried this on 5.3 you wouldn't have got the error because
I changed -KPIC to -fPIC for gcc on Solaris a few weeks ago.

Just this afternoon I applied the same change to 5.7 so if you update now
and try again you should get a bit further. Please let us know how you get
on as the build doesn't get much testing on Solaris these days AFAIK.

Paul K