[GRASS5] Keeping old version accessible.

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Sun Oct 10 14:37:57 EDT 2004

On Fri, Oct 08, 2004 at 12:56:07PM +0200, Bernhard Reiter wrote:
[...]
> I wrote that a few mails ago and it was meant against "deleting 5.0"
> from the servers. (That was a missunderstanding that got clarified,
> nobody proposed to delete it.)

[also related to your latest message, Bernhard]

Just to clarify that again: Radim and me have spent much time to
find (!) all the versions. We still try to get hands on the
CERL-4.2 which was never published. Jim Westervelt is trying to
find it for me (us). So, just by entering the
web site through ftp you can see all the versions in subdirectories.

Perhaps you didn't see this page?
 http://grass.itc.it/grass_releases.html
Not sure what else could be done.
You can click on all versions and grab the source code.

If you want to see detailed changes (diffs), go here:
 http://mpa.itc.it/radim/g50history/

Radim has spent much time to make it convenient HTML pages.
He even fetched all related emails:
 http://mpa.itc.it/radim/g50history/grass50history.html

> As for archiving old versions (and making them easiy accessible)
> this is quite important and all serious Free Software project do it.

Fully agreed and also realized for GRASS.

> At least there are many examples for Free Software projects
> that keep older versions around and offer many different development lines.
>
> 	Bernhard

GRASS is a prominent example to document 20 years of software development.

However, to offer many different development lines is impossible
unless more developers join the team. But this has been discussed
often enough.

Hope this helps

 Markus