[GRASS5] s. -> v.

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Mon Oct 18 11:17:24 EDT 2004

Markus,

I am remembering this discussion about finishing or not finishing the
kieging package better now, including Helena's note. This perhaps brings up
the chance to think strategically about the direction for GRASS development.
While there are always bugs to fix and tweaks to make, IMHO GRASS 5.7 is an
outstanding piece of spatial technology that goes well beyond most GIS
packages on the market. So, in which direction should future development
head. I think that the survey that will soon be posted will be helpful in
determining this. But here are a couple thoughts.

1) Improvement in the UI. Radim is working on merging GRASS with QGIS. This
is potentially exciting, especially with new display tools for vectors. We
also need to greatly simplify the installation procedure. An easy way to add
in special purpose packages (plugins in QGIS) without having to compile
could be a huge boost to development efforts.

2) Building on the volumetric tools. The beginning in GRASS is more than is
available in most other (any other?) GIS systems. The display tools need to
be integrated with NVIZ and we need more analysis and volume development
tools.

3) Improving the already rich set of spatial analysis tools with more
spatial analysis and geospatial statistics. There was a rich thread recently
dealing with developing tools for archaeological and geolophysical research.
Benjamin Ducke has started in this direction. A krieging package would be
another. Improvements and additions to packages for ecological analysis
(e.g., r.le) would also be desireable.

There are perhaps other strategic directions that others could add. I'd love
to see all the them, but realize that it will be necessary to prioritize.

Michael

On 10/18/04 2:24 AM, "Markus Neteler" <neteler at itc.it> wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 17, 2004 at 08:25:22PM +0100, Paul Kelly wrote:
>> Hello Michael
>>
>> On Sun, 17 Oct 2004, Michael Barton wrote:
>>
>> [...]
>>> Since GRASS doesn't have a krieging interpolator,
>>
>> s.surf.krig?
>> http://freegis.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/grass/src/sites/s.surf.krig/
>> http://www.geog.uni-hannover.de/grass/gdp/html_grass5/html/s.surf.krig.html
>>
>> Looks substantial enough but I wonder what the problem with it is. Is it
>> just another module that was disabled and forgotten like s.kcv, m.in.ntf
>> or is there a more serious problem?
>
> Some clues here:
>  http://grass.itc.it/pipermail/grass5/2000-September/011898.html
>  http://grass.itc.it/pipermail/grass5/2000-September/011895.html
>
> AFAIK the update/rewrite wasn't finished.
>
>  Have a look also here:
>  http://intevation.de/rt/webrt?serial_num=256
>  "Helena wrote:
>> #256 s.surf.krig - kriging is much better served by linking with geostats
>> packages as you need lots of additional tools to make it really useful -
>> GSTATS and R-stats would be much better for that. Unless somebody wants to
>> undertake major geostatistics developments fully integrated with GRASS
>> (inclding s.sv and other tools) I suggest retiring it and rather work on
>> improvements and education for R-stats bridge and GSTATS link"
>

> Markus

School of Human, Cultural, and Social Change
PO Box 872402
Arizona State University
Tempe, AZ  85287-2402
USA