[GRASS5] Re: [GRASSLIST:4563] 5.4.0 Release Candidate on solaris 9

Gordon Keith gordon.keith at csiro.au
Thu Oct 21 23:05:27 EDT 2004

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 02:51, Paul Kelly wrote:
> Hello everyone
> Source code for the release candidate for GRASS 5.4.0 is now available for
> testing at
> ftp://ftp.qub.ac.uk/pub/users/paulk/grass/grass-5.4.0pre1.tar.bz2
> Please try it with your usual compile options etc. and check that
> everything is working. Report problems to the mailing list.

I tried downloading and installing grass-5.4.0pre1 on a new Solaris 9 box.

I first installed the following packages from sunfreeware:
bison-1.875d-sol9-sparc-local.gz
flex-2.5.31-sol9-sparc-local.gz
freetype-2.1.7-sol9-sparc-local.gz
gcc-3.4.2-sol9-sparc-local.gz
libiconv-1.8-sol9-sparc-local.gz
libpng-1.2.7-sol9-sparc-local.gz
make-3.80-sol9-sparc-local.gz
mesa-6.0-sol9-sparc-local.gz
tcl-8.4.6-sol9-sparc-local.gz
tk-8.4.6-sol9-sparc-local.gz
zlib-1.2.1-sol9-sparc-local.gz

Then I tried to configure and got:

$ ./configure
checking host system type... sparc-sun-solaris2.9
checking for gcc... gcc
checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) is a cross-compiler... no
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for full floating-point support... yes
checking for pwd... /usr/bin/pwd
checking for source directory... /data1/homes/neptune/grass-5.4.0pre1
checking for build directory... /data1/homes/neptune/grass-5.4.0pre1
checking for Build Mechanism to be used... Alternate
configure: error: ***  Build directory should not be the same as source
directory for the alternate build mechanism. Create a separate build
directory and run again, e.g. mkdir ~/grass-build; cd ~/grass-build; /usr/
src/grass/configure ... (see mk/README)

Any idea why it has chosen the Alternate build mechanism?

Regards
Gordon

--

Gordon Keith
Programmer/Data Analyst

To mess up a Linux box, you need to work at it;
to mess up your Windows box, you just need to work on it.
 - Scott Granneman, SecurityFocus