[GRASS5] v.in.ascii problems

Helena hmitaso at unity.ncsu.edu
Sat Oct 23 16:10:06 EDT 2004

Markus Neteler wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 23, 2004 at 01:31:36PM +1300, Hamish wrote:
>
>>>This was the problem. I never imagined that vector points and vector
>>>lines/areas had their coordinate order reversed.
>>

>>annoying I know; it's that way for unknown historical reasons.
>

> Maybe we should fix that for 6.0?

I think yes - especially if v.in.ascii is going to be used BOTH for points
(where we have x,y) and vector data (that has y,x, but this module
was rarely used, the reasons for coordinate reversal are indeed purely historical
and it has been always confusing for users). I think that the fact that 5.7
has a new vector support is a good opportunity to change it so that
it is consistent with how the coordinates are handled in GRASS.

Helena