[GRASS5] Solaris9 test of 5.4

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Tue Oct 26 02:44:48 EDT 2004

Gordon Keith wrote:

> It would be nice if grass was also a simple configure; make; make install.
> If configure would look for postgress in /usr/local/pgsql and include /usr/
> sfw/{include,lib} on solaris it would be good.

The configure script used to autodetect directories; we took that
feature out because it tended to find things which broke the build,
making it impossible for some users to build GRASS.

This was a significant problem on systems which have GNU versions of
"base" components (e.g. libc, the C compiler) but where the GNU
versions aren't the "official" versions (i.e. everything except
Linux).

Eliminating the need to supply configure switches was considered less
important than making it possible to build GRASS on a wide variety of
systems.