[GRASS5] Is there a raster to vector converter for text like there is for lines?

Stephen Clark stephen.clark at focus.ca
Fri Oct 29 18:28:33 EDT 2004

Hi,

Has anyone tried to use OCR software on scanned maps to distinguish text
letters or words and then export these text values to a file that could be
used in a "spatial join" to join the polygons from a raster to vector
conversion and the text point files?

Anyone with some thoughts on how to do this would be welcome.

My initial thoughts are to "train" the CLARA software to recognize the text
values in my raster file and then find some way to export the individual
text entities to a shape file.

Also are there any research links on this idea?

thanks
Stephen