[GRASS5] New info on openDWG

Michael Tiemann tiemann at redhat.com
Wed Sep 1 07:10:41 EDT 2004

Somebody who knows the Open Design Alliance people may want to talk with
them about cygwin-style licensing (which is compatible with GRASS, open
source, and free software).  Cygwin is offered under the GPL (with all
those rights and responsibilities), and is also sold under a commercial
license, for people who want to write /proprietary/ software.  Thus,
people who want to sell open source or free software for a profit don't
have to pay, but people who want to sell proprietary software need to
pay for the privilege to keep their software proprietary.

Another famous company that uses this model is MySQL AB.  There are
dozens of others (though I don't have those names at my fingertips
because MySQL is such a good example).

Note: when MySQL changed their licensing terms to impinge upon Red Hat's
ability to distribute with our free distribution, we stayed back at an
earlier version.  MySQL has since fixed this problem, and I believe
we'll be moving forward again.  Many other companies have attempted to
fine-tune their licenses to "take a piece" of open source revenues, and
the history seems to indicate that that's doomed to fail.  However,
there's great benefit to being part of a major open source package, and
these companies are learning how to play within the rules, not try to
change them.